If you're looking to dabble in more meatless meal options, hey do I have a recipe for you! I came up with this recipes a few years ago when my husband and I were vegan, and it is still a favorite in our household. This recipe was a great supplement to the tuna salad that we enjoyed so much before becoming vegan. Honestly, with the blend of flavors, to me, it tasted similar to tuna.
CHICKPEA SALAD SANDWICH
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 0 MINUTES | YIELDS: 4-6 SERVINGS
- 2 cans cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup red onions, diced
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise (vegan mayonnaise for vegan alternative)
1 fresh lime, juice
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl add chickpeas, onions, cilantro and mayonnaise.
- Using a potato masher, or large fork, mash all the ingredients together until it is at desired consistency.
- Season with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and lime juice.
- Refrigerate chickpea salad for at least 1 hour before serving, allowing all the flavors to bind together.
Enjoy your chickpea salad on your favorite choice of bread; here I chose to serve mine over a few slices of toasted Italian bread.
So as always, give this recipe a try and let me know how you like it!