Every Monday on Periscope I do a live recipe demonstration for Meatless Monday's, and yesterday I made my Vegan Pulled "Pork" Tacos! I had such a great time doing this scope because my good friend Fariyal came over for dinner and was also my camera woman. I was also super pleased and excited when she ate the tacos and cursed about how good they were... when your food makes people swear... it's a great thing! I also made a delicious and easy avocado cream sauce for the topping that I will share!
Now since I did this recipe live, I do not have the step by step photos to go with the directions. So make sure you visit me at www.periscope.tv/LaTraGuerra to watch the replay in case you need visuals. The video stream will be up until 7:30 pm est TODAY!
Vegan Pulled "Pork" Tacos
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 5 MINUTES | YIELDS: 2 SERVINGS, 4 TACOS
PULLED "PORK" INGREDIENTS:
- Young Jackfruit, the Aroy-D brand young jackfruit in brine (I purchase mine from our local International Farmers Market for $1.57)
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 corn tortillas
- red onions, sliced
- red cabbage, chopped
- Roma tomatoes, diced
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- Avocado cream sauce (see ingredient list and directions below)
- Shredded vegan cheese (Daiya is a great brand for vegan cheese)
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Drain and rinse jackfruit from can.
- using a fork, shred jackfruit into desired pieces... think of pulled pork
- In a large mixing bowl, add jackfruit, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, garlic powder, salt, cayenne, and ketchup.
- Mix all ingredients together well.
- In a deep pan on medium heat, add olive oil.
- Once oil is hot, add in seasoned jackfruit, be sure to stir well then using th back of your spatula flatten jackfruit in the pan and cover.
- cook for 6 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, and prepare your corn tortillas for assembly.
- Place tortillas in oven for 30 second to make tortillas soft and bendable.
AVOCADO CREAM SAUCE:
- 1 avocado
- 3 tbsp vegan sour cream
- 1 lime, juice
- salt to taste
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp water
- Using a high powered blender add all ingredients and blend unit smooth.
Assemble tacos with jackfruit, onions, cabbage, tomatoes, cilantro and the avocado cream sauce. And as always, give this recipe a try and let me know how you like it!