Lately I have been feeling pretty sluggish and not at my healthiest, so for the month of December, my husband and I will be doing a fast off all meat, and we will be sticking to a vegetarian diet. I think this is a great way to start the New Year fresh and rejuvenated, and not to mention, for 2016 we have decided to go back to our Pescatarian diet, for reasons I will explain in a later post.
Now it's no secret that I am a fan of Southwestern cuisine, so of course I had to come up with a recipe for Southwest Corn Salad to share! This is a delicious recipe that will have you full without feeling heavy, and it is also a perfect side dish, if you choose to pair it with something else like tilapia, salmon, or chicken... I think they pair well.
SOUTHWEST CORN SALAD
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 5 MINUTES | YIELDS: 6-8 SERVINGS
- 2-1/2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped plobano pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions
- 1/4 cup lightly packed chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- In a large pan on medium heat add 1/2 tbsp olive oil and corn kernels, then cook for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl combine chopped onions, bell peppers, plobano peppers, cilantro, and black beans.
- Add corn in to the mixing bowl along with cumin, red pepper, cayenne pepper, salt, lime juice, brown sugar, and balsamic vinegar.
- Mix all ingredients together well, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. This will allow all the flavors to blend and marinate together.
You can enjoy this salad by itself, or as mentioned before as a side dish paired with fish or chicken. So as always, give this recipe a try and let me know how you like it!