If you've notice from my previous post, and my Instagram page, I'm a big fan of spicy food. I would say about 99.9% of foods that I enjoy eating, and making are spicy! Now don't get me wrong, although I love my spicy food, I won't dedicate Momstaurant to only spicy recipes... after this one... haha!
So I recently had a craving for some Mac & Cheese; it literally felt like I haven't had any in almost a year. The last time I remembered having it was last Christmas when I was pregnant and craved Spicy Mac & Cheese almost every day!
Mac & Cheese, believe it or not, is a favorite of mine; something so simple yet so good! I love creamy Mac & Cheese, oven baked Mac & Cheese, and also Vegan Mac & Cheese... yes VEGAN, and I have a great recipe that I will share later. But in the meantime, here is my super easy and creamy Spicy Mac & Cheese recipe!
SPICY MAC & CHEESE
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES | YIELDS: 2
- 2 cups dry macaroni noodles
- 1/2 cup yellow onions, minced
- 1/2 cup orange bell pepper, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno with seeds, minced
- 1/2 cup half and half milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- In a medium sauce pan, bring salted (like the sea) water to a boil, and add in macaroni noodles.
- Cook noodles until tender to the bite, then drain noodles reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
- Reduce heat to medium, and add the pasta noodles back into the pot with the pasta water.
- Add in minced onions, bell peppers, and jalapenos.
- Add in half and half milk; this will make your Mac & Cheese nice and creamy.
- Add in shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Then stir mac and cheese continuously until the cheese has melted and the texture looks creamy.
- Season Mac & Cheese with salt, garlic powder, creole seasoning, and cayenne pepper.
- Add butter, and mixed until the seasonings are all combined and the butter has melted.
- Let Mac & Cheese simmer for 5 minutes on low heat, until it has reached your desired creaminess. The longer it simmers on low, the thicker/stickier it will be.
I served mine with a little toasted bread crumbs sprinkled on top, and because I love me some spicy food, I also drizzled on some hot pepper sauce!
Give this recipe a try and let me know how you like it!