If you follow me on any of my social networks, you know that my family has recently all come down with the same cold. The twins, my husband, and I have all been sick for the past 2 dreadful weeks! Now, I don't know about you, but generally when I am sick I turn into a big baby, and all I want is my mommy and some soup. But being that I am a wife and mother, I can't play the baby role anymore... Not to mention, my mother is in China for 10 days, so no help from her.
Anyway, when I am sick I tend to make a lot of SPICY homemade broth soups, creamy soups, pea soups, bean soups... you name it, and I've probably made it... especially spicy! There is just something about spicy soup that makes my insides feel all warm and happy.
So I came up with this recipe, with just some leftover ingredients in my frig and pantry!
Spicy Yellow Split Pea Soup
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 50 MINUTES | YIELDS: 2
- 1 cup dry yellow split peas, soaked in water over night
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cube of chicken or vegetable bullion
- 1/2 cup yellow onions, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, chopped with seeds or without depending on your spice preference
- 1/2 lime, juice
- cinnamon to taste
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a medium pot, bring water to a boil on high heat.
- Add in the 1/2 bouillon cube, and stir until the cube dissolves.
- Pour in the peas, and cook on high heat for 2 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 40-45 minutes, until peas are tender.
- Using the back of a large spoon or a potato masher, mash the peas together until you've reached your desired texture. I like my pea soup to be a little thick and creamy. Also if you made it too thick, just add a bit of water.
- Add in your chopped onions and jalapenos, and stir.
- Cover and let it sit on medium-low heat for 5 minutes allowing the flavors to blend.
Serve your soup with a drizzle of the fresh lime juice, and a sprinkle of cinnamon... FYI, lime juice has been proven to lower the temperature of the body reducing fevers, and Cinnamon has a natural warming quality and also helps to break fevers.
So give this recipe a try and let me know how you like it!